Introduction to Long COVID Europe
What is Long COVID (LC)?
Long COVID is when, after a SARS-CoV-2 infection, symptoms persist for longer than 12 weeks. LC is a highly debilitating, multi-system condition with fluctuating symptoms.
Who is Vulnerable to Long COVID (LC)?
There is no direct link between the severity of LC and the severity of the initial infection. Though hospitalized patients run a greater risk, most Long COVID patients experienced mild (or even asymptomatic) initial infections.
What Are We?
Long COVID Europe (LCE) is a European network of Long COVID (LC) patient associations run by (current and former) LC patients.
Why Do We Exist?
LCE was founded because many LC patient organizations were struggling with the same issues. LCE creates economies of scale by sharing relevant resources, know-how, and contacts with its members.
What Do We Do?
Our Mission statement
- We offer unique expertise as a patient network, helping third parties cover their patient-centric blind spots.
- We gather information concerning LC to curate and share with LC stakeholders.
What Do We Hope to Achieve?
Our Vision statement
- Recognition of Long COVID as an impactful pandemic within the COVID-19 pandemic that urgently needs to be addressed by governments and the healthcare sector, with physical causes, also affecting young people.
- Research and knowledge distribution via extra funding for patient-centric LC research in multi-disciplinary networks, with an urgent focus on trustworthy diagnostics and ways to eliminate hurdles for patient rehab.
- Rehabilitation based on medical needs using a multi-disciplinary approach, freed from counterproductive administrative and financial hurdles, with sufficient support for those with little or no access to informal care.
United by Long COVID
Long COVID Belgium (Wallonia) Covid long, nous existons Belgique In the Wallonia part of Belgium, the patient association ‘Covid long, nous existons Belgique’, together with the Flemisch counterpart, fights for the rights of the long-term Covid sufferers in...
Long COVID FranceWebsiteapresj20.fr Support groupfacebook.com/ApresJ20 Twittertwitter.com/apresj20 Contactassociation@apresj20.frHighlights Since April 2020, thanks to the hashtag #ApresJ20, patients have gathered in France on social networks, especially on Twitter....
Long COVID UKLong COVID Support Long Covid Support was formed by a group of people struggling to recover from Covid-19, who found each other online and have been facilitating international peer support and campaigning in the UK for recognition, rehabilitation and...
Long COVID GreeceLong COVID Greece Long Covid Greece is a newly founded initiative working towards formation of an organisation and website. It started initially as a Facebook group in March 2021, offering support and information in people and doctors affected by long...
Long COVID Belgium (Flanders)post-COVID gemeenschap In the Flemish part of Belgium, the Flemish patient association ‘post-COVID gemeenschap’, together with the Walloon counterpart, fights for the rights of the long-term Covid sufferers in Belgium.Websitepost-covid.be...
Long COVID GermanyWebsitelongcoviddeutschland.org Support groupLong COVID Deutschland Selbsthilfegruppe Twittertwitter.com/longdeutschland Contactinfo@longcoviddeutschland.orgHighlights 1. Participation in public hearings of the Committee on Health in the German...
Long COVID SwitzerlandLong COVID Schweiz Long Covid Switzerland is an association officially founded in March 2021 and based in Bern. It has its roots in a Facebook group, started in September 2020, which provides information and support to people affected by Long...